Tips From the Pros
Great Tips for Working with a Recruiter
Working with a good recruiter can be a great way to unlock career opportunities that you may not find in newspapers or Internet job postings. Having access to hundreds of job openings and leads throughout the U.S. is only a phone call away. Here are a few helpful tips for working with an Apex recruiter:
- Be Honest – View your recruiter as a career resource and a trusted advisor. Apex recruiters put forth a great effort to find you the right job opportunity, and we ask that, in return, you tell us honestly about your qualifications, experience, and job search efforts.
- Keep Lines of Communication Open – When trying to place candidates in their ideal position, timing is everything! It is important that you provide your recruiter with multiple methods for getting in touch with you. Apex recruiters provide their candidates with an office line, email, and cell phone number; doing the same in return ensures you won’t miss out on great opportunities.
- Help Expedite the Process – Before we can present any candidate to our clients, we need a resume, 3 to 5 professional references, and the chance to meet face-to-face with the candidate. These steps not only validate your experience but also help in building a great working relationship between you and your recruiter.
- Don’t Be Afraid to Say "No" – We’ve all been in situations in which we don’t want to disappoint someone else. In the recruiting industry, the sooner you can tell your recruiter, “This position is not a good fit”, the better off we will all be. It’s better to wait for the next great opportunity than to have you, our client, and Apex be dissatisfied with your new job.
- Be Patient – Recruiters recognize the stress and frustration associated with finding a new job. Unfortunately, locating the ideal situation, company, compensation, and opportunity can take some time. Remember that we have your best interests in mind.
- Be Prepared – As mentioned above, placing candidates in their ideal position can be a question of timing. Great opportunities can open and close in a matter of hours. Being prepared with an updated resume or potential interviews could be the difference between placing you or another candidate.
- Be Committed – Lack of commitment can damage candidate-recruiter and candidate-client relationships. Following through on agreements is extremely important to maintaining a good long-term relationship with recruiters and clients.
A recruiter’s goal is to be a long-term career resource for each candidate. Following the tips above will ensure that your Apex recruiter will work hard for you every day.